Translate

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Day 28 - Bouncing on Cameron Lake


Saturday, July 28
Entry by Brooke

We are at anchor on Cameron Lake, just above the lock at Fenelon Falls. We thought that this little cove would offer us protection from the wake of boats heading along the main Trent channel but there has not been any abatement of speed boats pulling screaming kids on toys. They encircle us as if we weren’t here at all.   Cappie just came up on the bridge after an attempt at a nap. “I’m not really sure I can take this anymore.” 

Mister Huxley expresses her resentment of speeding boaters
I feel for the quiet cottagers in the cove; the ones who have no speed boats, no seadoos. It seems to be the same four groups that are with us: two guys on PWC's (personal water craft)  circling endlessly, and two families with a boatful of kids who each want a turn on the bouncing disk thing.

"Faster, faster, funner, funner! We want more fastness and more funness!! " We haven’t seen a canoe since the Peterborough lock.

Sea-dooer practicing being annoying
We head back to Toronto on Monday, and then to Blyth for tech run-through of Trudeau Stories prior to opening on Thursday. My first show in 17 months. My body is not ready for performance; it has been used to haul anchors and hang on to lock lines. It has not had room for expansive leaps and extended gestures.

Our anchorage once it is too dark for water-skiing
The hair on my arms is white against my browned skin, and there are some patches of skin that remind me of my grandmother's hands and arms when she was spending her 70 year-old winters in Arizona; a splotch that is really dark... but wait! A bit of spit and it rubs off... phew. (I do have a skin issue though, a basal cell carcinoma on the side of the bridge of my nose and I have an appointment for Mohs micro-graphic surgery on the 4th of September.)

A couple of friendly boaters just cruised by at maybe 15 knots, as close as they could possibly get, and the woman waved as the wake approached. I spread my arms in a helpless gesture as if to say what the fuck? I hear the motor cut down and look back to see the man, well after the offense, give a “sorry!” gesture. We bounce up and down as the wake hits us.

A dragonfly taking refuge from PWC's


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for getting in touch. Unless you want to remain anonymous, you need to include your name in your comment so we know who it is from. Up to you!